36 weeks

I wrote this Monday, but apparently forgot to hit “post.”

I went to the OB last Friday (at 35w6d) and found out I was already 3 cm dilated.  Before he checked, the doctor said 2cm is pretty normal for a second-time mom around 36 weeks, but that it would mean I’m on track to give birth around 39 weeks again.  When he determined I was 3cm, he said I definitely wouldn’t make it to my due date.  I was so shocked he had used the word “definitely” (OBs never say that!!) I didn’t ask any follow up questions.  By the time I got home I had a bunch of questions.  Does this mean the doctor thinks the baby is coming a minimum of a week early?  Maybe even two weeks early?

I texted the news to Thomas and my mom.  Thomas’ response:  I’m ordering a crib mattress right now.  My mom’s response:  PLEASE DON’T HAVE THE BABY WHILE I’M IN CHINA.  My mom and dad left today for China and don’t get back for two weeks, when I’ll be 38w2d.

I’m still kind of stunned.  I’d been coasting along thinking that, if I was lucky, I only had 3 weeks left.  If unlucky, up to 6.  Two didn’t even seem to be a possibility.  Plus, since I want to avoid having the baby on the 4th of July, I thought that’s when he was most likely to come.  Instead of the least preferable time to go into labor (and thus the one I have to prepare myself for) being mid-July, it has become mid-June, while my parents are still in China.  Also, I have training at work June 20th and 21st.  If I miss it, I’ll have to make it up when I come back from maternity leave.  I missed this same training when Meg was born (they have it every June) and it was a major pain.

Of course, now that we’re planning on the baby coming two weeks early, just in case, he probably won’t.  Maybe he’ll make it his mission to prove the doctor wrong and stay put well past my due date.

P.S.  We’ve all been nervous about the timing this China trip for a while (cutting it close, much?), but it’s a business trip for my Dad and he didn’t have any control over the timing.  My mom didn’t think the risk of the baby coming two weeks early was worth giving up a chance to go to China.  She’s not quite so sure now, since the risk of the baby coming two weeks early has gone up significantly.  But even if the baby DOES come while she’s gone, I still think going was the right decision.

P.P.S.  After Meg was born, my Dad came in and proceeded to take 500 pictures of her.  FIVE HUNDRED.  If he’s not there this time, I can see baby boy claiming this as another example of second child unfairness someday.  Think: “you have 500 pictures of Meg’s first day and only 50 of mine?” said in an incredulous/whiny voice.

Comments

  1. Oh I bet your parents are DYING! Well, hopefully he’ll stay in until they get back so he can get his 500 pics too. Or else your hubs is just going to have to step up and become an ultra shutterbug.

  2. Just came over from Amy’s – and congrats on your impending arrival! I hope the timing goes OK… sounds like ti will be close! 😉

  3. How exciting! He’s almost here! 😉

    I do feel bad for your parents though, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he will be a patient little baby!

    Can’t wait!